Monday 26 September 2011

Nineteenth Entry: Nightfall

I was exhausted, sweaty and covered in sawdust. I'd been working on a barricade big enough to cover the entire gap in the fence for hours, but by the time evening started rolling in, I was only halfway done. I'd emptied one of the half-liter water bottles while working, but I was still thirsty and hungry. Another honey sandwich and a can of soda served as dinner.

Night was falling quickly, and the church grew darker by the minute, so I lit a few of the wall-mounted candles. I wished I had something to cover the windows with, so the light wouldn't be noticed by the walkers. I wished I had a lot of things. Running water. Electricity. Guns. A toothbrush.

I lay on the floor for a while, staring at nothing. On a whim, picked up paper and pencil and decided to sketch out a map of the graveyard.


Night fell, and using my pile of clothes as a bed, I closed my eyes. 

Sleep came swiftly.

No comments:

Post a Comment