Monday 19 September 2011

Fifteenth Entry: Exploring

There was no handle on the white door, only the keyhole of a modern lock. I fished the key ring out of my pocket and tried to unlock it. The first key didn't work, but the second one fit perfectly. I pushed the door open gently and stepped back. The room beyond apparently had no windows, because it was pretty damn dark. I heard no movement, so I carefully stuck my hand around the door frame, feeling around for a light switch. I found one, but pressing it did nothing. The power was out there as well.

I decided to explore the room anyway, despite the darkness, but was suddenly startled by the alarm in my cellphone going off. The soothing tones of Don't Fear The Reaper filled the room. I could appreciate the irony. More than that, I had completely forgotten about my cellphone. There was no signal and the battery was low, but it would serve as an impromptu flashlight.

Holding my cellphone up like a lantern in one hand and the cleaver in the other, I went in. The dim light from my phone didn't reach far, but it was enough to navigate by. The light revealed a small kitchen to the right of the door. Some cupboards, a stove and a small fridge took up most of the space. A door to my left led to a bathroom, and straight ahead was some kind of living room for the priests. A table and four comfortable chairs stood in the middle of the room, with various other pieces of furniture placed around the room. A thick, white carpet covered the floor. No walkers in here.

With a sigh of relief, I walked back into the main chamber, grateful for the warm light of dawn shining through the tall mosaic windows.

That just left the bell tower. I pocketed my phone and held my spade out before me as I walked up the staircase.

No comments:

Post a Comment